Sweet Potato Poutine
The Ingredients 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Kosher salt, to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch sticks...
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-sodium (or homemade) chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, minced, for garnish
- 3/4 cup smoked Gruyère cheese, or to taste, at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Coat 2 baking sheets with olive oil. Toss the cut potatoes in oil until coated evenly - season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and place in oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally, until nicely browned on all sides.
- While potatoes are baking, make gravy. In your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet, add butter over medium heat. Add shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add flour, stirring to incorporate. Once flour is no longer visible, slowly whisk in stock and Worcestershire sauce. Continue cooking until gravy thickens, 10-15 minutes.
- Once the gravy is thickened, remove 3/4 of it into a separate bowl, leaving 1/4 of gravy in the skillet. Add sweet potatoes, cheese, and drizzle remaining gravy over top. Garnish with parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Chicken Tamale Casserole
The Ingredients Cornbread ½ cup cornmeal 2 tbsp sugar ½ tsp salt 1 tbsp baking powder 1 egg 4 tbsp butter, melted 1/3 cup buttermilk 1 cup creamed...
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup creamed corn
- ½ can (4.5 oz) diced green chilis
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 can chilis in adobo sauce (1 chili only)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onion, chopped
- Avocado slices
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in egg, butter, buttermilk, creamed corn, and chilis.
- Pour into your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet and bake for 15 minutes or until batter is set and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a food processor, create the sauce by pulsing the tomatoes, adobo chili, garlic and salt together.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add a touch of oil then the shredded chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and cook until the majority of the liquid is absorbed - about 10 minutes.
- Pour chicken mixture over the top of the cornbread in an even layer. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is hot and melted.
- Top with cilantro, green onion, avocado, jalapeno and red onion and serve.
Potatoes Au Gratin
THE INGREDIENTS 1 cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon oil 2 sprigs fresh thyme (1 for garnish) 1 clove garlic, minced 4-5 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into...
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (1 for garnish)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4-5 large white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, plus extra for greasing skillet
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Grease the bottom of your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet with a bit of butter.
- In a small sauce pan, add oil, garlic and chopped thyme leaves from one stem. Heat until fragrant then add the heavy cream. Heat until just coming to a boil, and then turn off the heat and set aside.
- In your skillet, layer 1/3 of the potatoes overlapping each other. Top with 1/3 salt, 1/3 cheese, and 1/3 butter cut into small pieces and scattered throughout.
- Repeat layering 2 times.
- Pour cream evenly over potatoes. Place the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and starting to turn golden on top. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Orecchiette with Mushrooms and Bacon
THE INGREDIENTS 6 slices bacon 16 oz cremini or baby bella mushrooms, chopped 2 garlic cloves, minced 16 oz orecchiette pasta ½ cup heavy cream ½ cup chicken...
- 6 slices bacon
- 16 oz cremini or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz orecchiette pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- Cook bacon in your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet and reserve drippings in the pan. Place bacon on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet and continue to cook over medium/low heat. Cook until mushrooms are browned and softened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a separate pot until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Add heavy cream and chicken broth to your skillet. Cut your bacon into pieces and add to the skillet along with red wine vinegar and green onions.
- Stir in pasta and coat well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve warm.
The Ingredients 2 cups cherry tomatoes 1 zucchini, sliced ½ red onion, roughly chopped 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1 tbsp oil 2 cups vegetable broth 1...
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 10-ounce package plain couscous
- Heat your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil along with the veggies and chickpeas.
- Cook the veggies and chickpeas for a few minutes until they are softened and you can see some browning on the zucchini and onion.
- In a separate pan, add vegetable broth, bringing it to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat.
- After five minutes or so, fluff couscous with a fork then add it to your skillet with the veggies and chickpeas.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss. Serve immediately.
Bacon & Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
The Ingredients 1 lb Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise ½ small onion, chopped 2 slices bacon 2 tsp salt ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated Pat of butter or touch...
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pat of butter or touch of other cooking oil
- Cook the bacon over medium heat in your Stargazer Cast Iron Skillet. Allow draining on a paper towel, roughly chop and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil then add Brussels sprouts. Cook for 10 minutes to soften, then drain and set aside.
- In your skillet over medium heat, add a pat of butter or touch of cooking oil to the bacon fat. Add the onions, and cook until translucent.
- Add Brussels sprouts, bacon pieces, salt, and parmesan cheese. Toss, finish and serve warm.