If tender beef in a savory vegetable stock gives you the warm and fuzzies, then you have to try this recipe from our friend @grilldaddyjg. I know some people would look at a recipe that takes 2 hours and 45 minutes to prepare and say forget it, but this one is easier than it sounds. This is really a “set it and forget it” recipe where most of the cook time is hands off. Just get things rolling and you’ll have about two hours to watch the game while the beef ribs melt into tender, juicy deliciousness. Thanks to Jace over at @grilldaddyjg for entering his amazing recipe into week 4 of our Cabin Fever Cook-off. This recipe is definitely a winner!
Hot Tip: One of the things I like most about this recipe is how flexible it is. If you don’t have pasta, you can substitute mashed potatoes. You can also use different vegetables and spices without missing out on any of the things that make this dish such a great culinary experience.
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 4-6 beef short ribs, bone in or out
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans french onion soup
- 8 tbsp high heat cooking oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced thin (⅛” slices)
- ½ white onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 box spaghetti
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- Preheat your 12-inch Stargazer Cast Iron skillet on low heat for 5-10 minutes before gradually turning the heat up to medium high. While your cast iron skillet is preheating, mix your spice rub (salt, ground black pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder and dried minced onion) in a bowl. Season your beef short ribs on all sides with half of the spice rub. Add 4 tbsp of oil and the beef short ribs to your skillet. Hard sear the beef short ribs until they are browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Turn your heat down to medium. Add the olive oil to your still hot skillet. Once the oil is heated, add the carrot, celery, onion, leeks, garlic and the other half of your spice rub. Sweat your vegetables, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add 1 cup of beef stock and the french onion soup to the skillet. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and nestle the seared Beef Ribs into the liquid in the skillet. Cover and cook for approx 2 hrs.
- With about 25 minutes left on the beef ribs cook time, In a separate large skillet or stock pot, add 2 cups of Red wine and 2 cups of beef stock. Bring to a slow boil and allow the liquid to reduce for approximately 7 minutes. Add the box of spaghetti to the boiling liquid. Cook approx 7-8 min until liquid is mostly absorbed and pasta is al dente. Drain the pasta using a strainer if necessary. Add the spaghetti back to the pot and mix in the salted butter.
- Serve the beef ribs and stock over the spaghetti. These beef ribs will also work wonders served over mashed potatoes.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 2 hrs 30 min.