Do your game day grub plans include carbs, carbs and more carbs? Let's lighten the load a bit, shall we? Cole over at @sapp_bbq swapped potatoes for rutabaga in this cheesy loaded keto rutabaga bake, and with toppings that include chorizo, bacon, cheese and more cheese, we have a feeling you won't even be able to tell the difference!
- 3 medium to large rutabaga
- 6 slices of bacon
- 4oz of pork chorizo
- 2/3 cup of chihuahua cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup of colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 fresh jalapeño sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- cilantro lime crema
Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1/2 of a ripened avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/8 cup of water
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Clean the rutabaga thoroughly under cold water & trim off the ends.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Poke holes around the rutabaga with a fork.
- Coat rutabaga with olive oil and season with a light coating of salt and pepper.
- Wrap rutabagas in a double layer of aluminum foil.
- Place rutabagas on the center rack of the preheated oven and cook for 60-90 minutes or when the rutabagas are fork tender. Around an internal temperature of 210 degrees.
- While the rutabaga are baking, cook the bacon slices in the 12-inch Stargazer Cast Iron Skillet until desired crispness.
- Remove bacon and place on the side. Drain bacon fat into glass heat safe bowl to be discarded later.
- Add 4oz of pork chorizo to the skillet and sauté until done.
- Remove chorizo from the skillet and place to the side.
- Once the rutabaga is done baking remove from the oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Remove the rutabaga from the foil and place in the skillet end side down.
- Using a potato masher mash the rutabaga down until the bottom of the skillet is completely covered.
- Spread 2/3 cup of chihuahua cheese over the rutabaga followed by the 2/3 cup of Colby Jack.
- Spread the cooked chorizo evenly over top of the cheese.
- Crumble the cooked bacon and then spread evenly over skillet.
- Place the skillet back into the oven under the broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and drizzle the cilantro lime crema evenly over the skillet.
- Add the sliced fresh jalapeños as a garnish & enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min