We've all had grits (I hope), but have you ever experienced a grit cake?! It takes everything we love about rich, creamy grits and adds a crispy crust for extra deliciousness. These cakes make an awesome side dish and happen to be the perfect compliment to our friend Matt's Cajun Shrimp with Tasso Cream Sauce recipe. You can check out Matt's other recipes on Instagram here.
- 2 cups water
- 2¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided, adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup Cajun seasoned flour
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- Bring the water, 2 cups of the milk, butter and 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning to a boil.
- Slowly start whisking in the grits. Cook until thickened. Add salt and additional Cajun seasoning to taste.
- Reduce to low heat and add in the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour grits into a shallow pan, spreading evenly, and place in the fridge for several hours until firm.
- Heat about a ½ inch of frying oil to 375°F in your Stargazer 10.5-inch cast iron skillet.
- Cut your grits into serving size pieces. Mix together the egg and the remaining ¾ cup of milk. Add the remaining 2 tsp of Cajun seasoning to the flour and mix. Dredge the grit pieces in egg wash, then flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.
- Carefully place battered grit cake into the oil and fry until golden brown (2-3 minutes) then flip and do the same on the other side.
- Remove and drain on a rack and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min