Vegetables are an essential part of any well rounded meal. Swiss chard happens to be super nutritious, especially combined with half of a pound of fried bacon (it’s true, we read it on the internet). After all, bacon makes everything better. If you want the kids to eat their vegetables, put bacon in them. We’ve tried it. It works. Now you try it. You won’t regret it. Enjoy everyone!
Pro Tip: Red swiss chard is red and green, which makes it the perfect choice for holiday sides. Serve with balsamic vinegar for drizzling.
- ½ lb bacon, chopped into ½ pieces
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 cups swiss chard, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- On a large stove burner, preheat your 10.5-inch Stargazer Cast Iron skillet on low heat for 5-10 minutes before slowly turning up the heat to medium. Coat the cooking surface of the skillet with 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Add the chopped bacon and fry to your desired doneness. Remove the bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon or spatula and set aside. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings and place the skillet back on the burner.
- Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet. Allow it to heat up for about 30 seconds. Add the swiss chard to the skillet, stirring occasionally until it begins to wilt and shrink. Once the swiss chard begins to wilt and shrink, add the fried bacon, sliced almonds, garlic, sugar, salt and ground black pepper. Stir regularly until the swiss chard has wilted completely (about 3-5 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and serve immediately with balsamic vinegar on the side for drizzling.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min