When our friend Elliott entered his Chicken Alfredo Garlic Bites recipe into week 1 of our Cabin Fever Cook-Off on Instagram, we knew immediately that we had a contender. The featured ingredient for week 1 was chicken and as you may have already guessed, Elliott won.
I had the distinct pleasure of cooking and testing this recipe a few nights back and I can tell you first hand that our contest judges made the right decision. This may be the most comforting comfort food that I have ever experienced. Not only can it double as an appetizer or an entree, but it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
A humble thank you and a huge congratulations to Elliott at @elliotts.table for sharing this awesome recipe and winning week 1 of our Cabin Fever Cook-Off. Follow @elliotts.table and @stargazercastiron on Instagram and Facebook for more creative cast iron recipes. Enjoy everyone!
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped to ½” pieces
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 chicken thighs, cubed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 14 oz. of your favorite pizza dough, cut into 2” cubes (can be homemade or store bought)
- 1 15oz. jar of your favorite Alfredo Sauce (can be homemade or store bought)
- Preheat your skillet on low heat for 5-10 minutes before turning the heat up to medium heat. Add the chopped bacon to your hot skillet and cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to separate the bacon pieces and ensure even cooking. You can cook the bacon longer if you have not achieved your desired crispness after 10 minutes.
- Do not remove the bacon grease from the pan. Move the cooked bacon pieces from the skillet into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Add the chicken, two cloves of minced garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to your hot skillet with the bacon grease and cook for approximately ten minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add it to the large mixing bowl with the bacon. Add the diced onion to the skillet and saute it in the remaining bacon and chicken drippings until soft and translucent. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Remove the onion from the skillet and add it to the large mixing bowl with the bacon and chicken. Add the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to the mixing bowl. Gradually add the dough pieces to the mixing bowl while mixing by hand, or with a stand mixer on a low setting, until the dough has mixed thoroughly with the other ingredients.
- Oil your 10.5-inch skillet on the cooking surface, all the way to the rim, with the olive oil. Add the dough mixture to the skillet, patting it down in an even layer so that it covers the entire bottom of the skillet. Move the skillet, uncovered, to the center rack of your preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the dough it cooked through at the center.
- Add four cloves of minced garlic to your Alfredo sauce, mix and heat until warm. Using substantial potholders, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with warm Alfredo sauce generously drizzled over the top, or on the side for dipping. Garnish with fresh basil if you like that kind of thing.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 55 min