PINK PINEAPPLES EXIST?! Yes, that’s right. I first spotted them at my local grocery store for $20, then had to go home to do a little research - what could possibly make a pineapple cost that much?! It turns out Del Monte has actually spent the last 16 years developing them and found that lycopene, the same natural pigment that gives tomatoes and watermelon their rosy hues, could do the same for pineapples!
These PinkGlow pineapples are a bit sweeter than typical pineapples, so I figured I had to use them in a dessert. What's the first dessert that comes to mind when you think of pineapples? Pineapple upside down cake, of course! You’ll find this cake recipe is sweet, dense and delicious (also, pretty) and is best served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 ⅓ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Fresh pineapple slices (I used 5 cut slices, but this will vary)
- Maraschino cherries (I used 9, but again, this will vary)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Cut half of your pineapple into slices and core them (I used 5 slices).
- Prepare the topping by melting the unsalted butter in your Stargazer Cast Iron 10.5-inch skillet in the oven (should only take 2-3 minutes).
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add the brown sugar. Spread it evenly across the surface and then place your pineapple slices down in whatever shape you’d like. Once the pineapple slices are down, add a cherry in the middle of any open space.
- Start to prepare the cake batter by combining all of the wet ingredients. Mix together with a hand mixer for a few minutes, then add all of the dry ingredients and continue to mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter as evenly (and gently) as possible over the pineapples. You can gently use a spoon to fill in any spaces. Just be sure not to move any of the fruit around!
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the center is set and the top is browned. You can also check with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 15 minutes before placing a plate over the skillet and flipping it over gently (pro tip: loosen any baked on edges with a knife first!) Slice and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min