Happy National Bagel Day everyone! Have you ever been to New York City? If you have then you know it’s full of amazing delis that sell freshly made bagels in just about any flavor you could imagine with the toppings to boot. This recipe is our take on a New York deli bagel sandwich. One of the most iconic bagel sandwiches you’ll find at a New York deli is your preference of bagel topped with cream cheese, smoked salmon (nova or lox), red onions and capers. This is a classic combo that makes my mouth water just thinking about it. These classic ingredients come together in this playful game day dip to give you and your guests a taste of big city living without all the noise, smog and traffic.
Pro Tip: Let the cream cheese blocks sit out for 1 hour to soften it before mixing. This will make it much easier to combine the ingredients. Also, avoid choosing sweet flavored bagels, as this is a savory dish that will not mesh well with cinnamon raisin or blueberry.
- 3 8oz blocks cream cheese, softened
- 6oz smoked salmon, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp non-pareil capers
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4-6 large bagels of varying savory flavors, cut into 1” slices for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion and capers. Using a large spoon or spatula, fold the ingredients together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Coat the inside of your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet with the avocado oil. Add the ingredients from the mixing bowl into the oiled skillet and spread them out across the cooking surface of the skillet in an even layer. Carefully move the skillet to the oven and bake uncovered for approximately 12 minutes to heat through.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Dip the bagel slices and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 12 min