It’s fall and it’s cast iron skillet season. The leaves have turned and the air is crisp. There is a faint smell of wood smoke from warm fires heating cozy living rooms and this can only mean one thing: The biggest, crispiest, sweetest, juiciest apples are now in season. Let us help you take full advantage! This pork chop and apples skillet is quintessential fall comfort food and is easy to prepare with most of the cooking happening unattended in the oven. Enjoy the wonderful fall fragrances of cinnamon and rosemary filling your home as this dish is baked to simple perfection while you relax with your loved ones in front of the warm fireplace after a long day at work. Oh, and we almost forgot to mention, it’s DELICIOUS! Pair with some buttery mashed potatoes and a bold glass of red wine for a great big plate of “more please”. We hope you all love it!
- 2-3 pork chops, bone-in
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 medium honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced in ½” slices
- 8 oz whole pearl onions, peeled
- 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
- On the stove top, preheat your 12-inch Stargazer Cast Iron skillet on low heat for 5-10 minutes before slowly turning up the heat to medium-high. Add the avocado oil to the skillet for about 1 minute until heated. Add your pork chops to the skillet and sear for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove the seared pork chops from the skillet and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Reduce the burner heat to medium. In the same skillet, add the chicken broth, heavy cream, Dijon mustard, cinnamon stick, salt, paprika, ground black pepper, garlic powder and rosemary sprigs. Bring the sauce to a slow simmer, stirring regularly.
- Once the sauce is simmering, add the pork chops back into the skillet with the sauce. Layer on the apples and onions. Cover with an oven safe lid or tin foil and move the skillet to the oven. Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet, turn the oven up to 400° F and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and stir in the swiss chard. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with mashed potatoes for an incredible fall meal.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min