Anyone else's mom order a western omelette every time they go out to breakfast 🙋? Just mine? Cool. Well, it happens to be Mother's Day and what better day than today to give mom a leveled-up version of her favorite. Even if this isn't her favorite, it'll do the trick.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced green pepper (approx. half of a large pepper)
- 1 cup diced red pepper (approx. half of a large pepper)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick cut ham, sliced
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 pie crusts, store bought
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in your Stargazer 10.5-inch cast iron skillet. Add the bell peppers and sauté for 4-5 minutes until slightly softened. Add the diced ham and scallions to the pan and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the ham is browned. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the cast iron skillet. Set skillet aside to cool.
- Whisk together eggs and then add the heavy cream, salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine.
- Unroll two store bought pie crusts and lay them directly on top of one another. Use a rolling pin to press the crusts together into one and roll out until approximately 12”. You’ll want the pie crust to come all the way up the edge of the cast iron and have a little extra for crimping. When the skillet has cooled, spray lightly with pam and then transfer the pie crust into the skillet. Crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Place in the fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the crust has chilled, take it out of the fridge and line with parchment paper or foil. Place baking weights into the crust and par-bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are just starting to color. Carefully remove the pie weights and parchment and then continue to bake for another 5-6 minutes until the bottom of the crust is light brown. Check every 2-3 minutes to make sure the crust isn’t shrinking or puffing up too much. You can press lightly on it with a spoon if necessary.
- Once the crust is par-baked, remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325. Add the cooked vegetables to the crust followed by the cheese and finally the egg mixture. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 40 minutes. Begin checking at 30 minutes- the quiche should be puffed up considerable, golden on top and only very slightly jiggly in the center. If too much browning is happening, gently tent a piece of foil over the quiche.
- When the quiche is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min