Chorizo sausage originated in Spain and Portugal and from there, spread throughout the world, including South America and Southeast Asia. Originally made from pork, you can now find it made from most any meat. Chorizo sausage has a wonderful smoky flavor and enough spice to keep things interesting. You can find it in dishes made for any meal of the day, breakfast, lunch or dinner. Today, we’ve got an awesome dinner recipe for you in this chorizo rice & beans skillet.
If you're looking to add some spice to your life this winter, then look no further. This chorizo rice & beans skillet is really simple to make and will warm your soul at the end of a long winter day. The best part about this dish is that it’s just as good reheated for lunch the next day as it is fresh out of the oven. Enjoy everyone!
Hot Tip: Remove the sausage casing before searing to release more of the chorizo flavor into the dish.
- 1 lb chorizo links
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
- 1 10 oz can rotel (diced tomatoes and chili peppers in a can)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- On the stove top, preheat your 12 -inch Stargazer Cast Iron skillet on low heat for 5-10 minutes before slowly turning up the heat to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet and heat for 30 seconds. Add the chorizo links to the skillet. Brown the chorizo links on 4 sides for 2 minutes per side. Remove the chorizo links from the skillet and allow them to rest on a cutting board until cooled. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Turn the heat down to medium. In the same skillet, add the other 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the bell peppers and onion to the skillet and sauté until soft, stirring regularly (about 7 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Slice the chorizo links into ¼” rounds and add them to the skillet. Stir to combine the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover the skillet with a lid or tin foil and carefully move the skillet to the oven. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and let rest, covered, for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min